Saturday, November 5, 2011

Alex's Shoe Hospital

Due to my status as a graduate student working several jobs to pay for tuition along the way rather than taking out a lot of loans, Steve and I continue to look for ways to clip coupons, cut corners, and save. Even former reality star Kate Gosselin is hitting the coupon circuit with her new blog gig on CouponCabin.com.

My favorite black leather boots and a pair of Mary Jane style shoes needed desperate repair. The soles were worn out on both pairs and my boots needed a zipper replaced on the left side.
Instead of tossing them out and buying new pairs (as I probably would have in my pre-graduate school days), I took them to a place called Alex's Shoe Hospital. It's a boot and shoe repair store.
When I picked up the items, I receieved the bill for around $56.00. It's not bad considering all they had to do with the pairs. In addition, the store shined them so they look brand new. And it's a drag to break in a new pair, only to have them fall apart when they are the most comfortable.
The cost of the new boots and shoes would have been over $200, so I saved over $100 . Plus, I feel like I am contributing to the environment by reusing rather than tossing.

I have another pair of suede boots in the shop right now. Unfortunately, the flats were beyond repair, so I'll have to invest in a new pair. Of course, I'll make sure there is a coupond or they are on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment